Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Wolves: Chapter 5

          The beds were in a pile in one corner after my magic had fallen. Thankfully it was just soft bedding so nothing was broken. After the masks left, Annette had come to check that it was safe, then helped everyone down. I awoke to several small faces hovering over me, one dribbling water into my mouth via spoon. As soon as my eyes opened, one ran for Annette. She came quickly, checking my vision and pain levels, making sure I was drinking enough.
            “You probably have a small concussion,” she said. “But you’re mostly weak from your magic exertion. You need rest. Lots of it.”
            I sat up, pushing her away gently. “I can’t rest. I have to get these girls to the other side before the masks come back. We have to go over tomorrow.” I rested my hand on hers and said quietly, “You need to stay this time.”
            “No!” Annette stood, backing away from me. The entire house turned, falling silent. “I won’t leave!”
            “Annette…” I stood tiredly, stepping towards her. “Please….it will be safer if it’s just me. You should stay and help the newest girls acclimate. If you return with me, you will get caught. Rescuing you will jeopardize all we’ve worked for.”
            “All you have worked for.”
            I lowered my gaze in acknowledgment.
            She stalked angrily to the pump, retrieving more water and attending to several of the youngest girls. I knew it would be a while before she’d speak to me again, but she’d come around eventually. She knew I was right. Staying with the girls was her best option.
            “Maylie?” Kailah appeared at my side with a furrowed brow.
            “Yes?” I turned my attention to her, motioning for her to come sit beside me on my pallet, which had been retrieved from the ground below the window. I picked a few stray grass blades off and met her gaze. “What is it?”
            “You have magic,” she said slowly.
            “Yes.”
            “I’ve never seen anyone wield it before.”
            “I’m not sure ‘wield’ is the right word for the cheap party tricks I do, but yes, I do use it. And yes, it’s fairly rare in this world.”
            “Is it common in others?”
            “I haven’t portal-jumped in so long, I don’t remember. It’s not common in the world I’m taking you to, so you don’t have to worry.”
            Her eyes widened. “You’re taking me to another world?”
            “Yes,” I nodded. “It is far safer than this one. I take all my sisters there so they will be safe.”
            “But you do not go?”
            I shook my head. “My place is here.”
            There was a moment of silence as she considered. Somewhere in the room, Cara’s baby cried as she unbuttoned her shirt to nurse. I waited, knowing Kailah had more questions.
            “If we’re going to another world,” she said at last. “You must have access to a portal.”
            “I do.”
            “How? A portal hasn’t been discovered in this world in centuries.”
            “I had to create one.”
            Kailah’s jaw dropped. “You…created a portal?”
            I nodded, expressionless.
            “But that would take more magic than…than the entire wizard court combined.”
            I looked down at my hands, the creases lined with dirt.
            “Wow,” she said softly. “You must be really powerful.”
            “I’m pretty average most of the time,” I said honestly. “But if I work on something for a long time, I can make it pretty big. The portal took me ten years to finish.”
            “That’s a lot of dedication. The only person I’ve known who could conjure that much magic was my aunt. Her name was Faula.”
            My breath caught in my chest. “Faula?”
            Kailah nodded. “Have you heard of her?”
            Quietly, I responded, “She saved my life.”
            “You knew her?”
            “She saved my life,” I repeated.
            “How?”
            Annette appeared at my side, holding a cup of tea. I took it, pulling her wrist gently so she would join us on the bed. She sat, brow furrowed. “Is everything alright?”
            “Kailah knows Faula,” I said quietly. “She is her aunt.”
            Annette’s mouth fell open. She glanced around to make sure no one could hear, then leaned forward and whispered loudly, “You’re Faula’s niece?” she looked Kailah up and down. “Well, did you get any of her magical powers?”
            Kailah shook her head. “She tested me when I was little, and I don’t have any.”
            “I know that test,” I said. “She did it on me when she found me.”
            “Tell me about her?” Kailah looked so hopeful, so eager to hear about her aunt, I couldn’t refuse her.

            “Come with me,” I said. “Let’s walk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment