Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Wolves: Chapter 3

            They broke down the door without even knocking to see if I was inside. I swung around, nearly knocking a glass of water off the table.
            “Gentlemen,” I said evenly. “What brings you to-”
            “We know you have the girls,” the closest one snarled. “Hand them over, and we will show you mercy.”
            “‘Mercy’ isn’t a word in either of our vocabularies. But as you can see, they are not here.” I spread my arm in an inviting gesture, drawing their gaze to the empty room. The only things visible were a single cot in the far corner under a window, the pump, and the table of water glasses.
            “We heard singing,” another mask spat. “How do you explain that, witch?”
            I tilted my head toward the glasses. They were each filled with water at a different level and I pulled a thin strand of green magic from the air, swirling it around the rims. Beautiful voices rang forth as I pulled them from the water.
            The masks were made of a fabric cursed to be sensitive to magic. But the magic I had pulled to create the singing glasses covered the effect of the magic suspending the girls’ cots to the ceiling and making them invisible. The masks would not be able to detect the cots. Hopefully.
            “My entertainment for the council ceremony,” I replied. “Singing glasses.”
            The masks eyed the room with suspicion, but there was clearly no one else. One ran to the window and peered down, but even the blood from the wolves was gone. The ropes had been drawn up, and no evidence gave away the girls’ presence.
            Several of the masks convened quietly, out of my earshot. I listened for footsteps from above but none came. The oldest sisters were succeeding in keeping the younger ones quiet.
            I knew the masks were discussing taking me in for questioning. I wasn’t frightened of questioning – I had done it before – but if I left, the magic would leave with me and the bedrolls would no longer be hidden. If more masks came, I couldn’t protect the girls. The house itself would struggle to stand without me.
My breathing was forcedly even as I waited.
            The masks began filing out as the leader turned to me. “We will not take you for questioning this time. But if you spill so much as a drop of that water at the ceremony, we will know why you are out of line. And we will burn this house to the ground.”
            I smiled bitterly and gave an acknowledging half-nod. They disappeared into the night, their torches burning an image in my mind I would want to erase for the rest of my life. I waited until I was certain the masks were gone before signaling for the girls to come down. Michelle and Xandra came first, helping the younger girls in through the window. Annette was last, calm as ever. I let the invisibility on the bedrolls fade and lowered them to the floor. Everyone began arranging them back to their regular places, ready to get back to sleep after the events of the night. Annette crossed the room quickly to embrace me. I nearly collapsed in her arms.
            “You need rest,” she said, concern filling her voice. “You have done enough for us tonight. I will take care of the girls. Sleep.”

            I couldn’t even protest as she led me to an empty pallet. I was asleep before she pulled a blanket to my shoulders. I wish I could say my sleep was dreamless.

No comments:

Post a Comment