Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Haikus

Haikus are a Japanese form of poetry.  They require five syllables in the first sentence, seven syllables in the second sentence, and five syllables in the third/final sentence.  They are usually about nature but I like writing them about lots of things.  The 5, 7, 5 beat pattern makes it fun to play with.  Here is an example:
The wind blows softly,
It whispers to me and says,
Follow me away.

Read it aloud.  Can you hear the beat?  Sometimes it helps to count the syllables on your fingers as you say it.  Read the following and see how I've noted the pattern:

  1       1       1       1   1      = 5
The wind blows softly

 1     1   1    1   1    1     1      = 7
It whispers to me and says,

   1   1   1    1    1   = 5
Follow me away.

You can write about nature, a person or activity you love, or something silly.  Share your haikus in the comments!  If you have questions, leave them below in the comments or email me at alabamawriters@gmail.com.  Haikus are hard to get the hang of so keep with it!  Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
May your pens stay sharp!
*Evyn
My pen flows swiftly,
The pages of my story,
Adventure awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment