Sunday, May 6, 2018

Wolves: Chapter 8

         The walk to the gate was deadly quiet. Babies were suckled and swaddled before the journey so as to be as silent as possible. Older girls held the younger girls’ hands and I had hoarded food for a week so everyone would have enough to eat for breakfast. Even our stomachs couldn’t growl and give us away. Our shoes were padded with thick fabric on the undersides. We walked on the grass instead of the stone road. It was a routine I had grown accustomed to, but my nerves were still on edge as we traveled. We had more babies this journey than I’d ever had before and I wouldn’t rest while cries were a possibility.
            Annette walked by my side, her fingers brushing mine occasionally, one arm wrapped around the baby strapped to her in a sling but the other free to subconsciously reach for my hand. After the fifth time of brushing and her pulling away, mouthing indiscernible apologies, I wrapped my hand around hers. She met my glance and smiled softly. The tension and fear was palpable in our huddled group.
            When we reached the gate, three hours later, babies were getting restless and the youngest girls were teary from exhaustion. One of the youngest nearly fell but tried not to let anyone see. I scooped her up and carried her weak body the last two miles.
            Kailah, who had been bringing up the rear, ushered the tired ones along even as she was clearly as exhausted as they. I had explained before we left that we would not have even a moment for rest. Time was of the utmost importance when we traveled because I couldn’t hide them all and being discovered would result in execution, even down to the babes in slings. All the girls expressed their understanding and I was indescribably relieved that everyone remained silent during our walk.
            It was an exhausting journey.
            The hardest part was yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment